Microdermabrasion is a popular exfoliation treatment that can leave your skin feeling fresh and rejuvenated. After undergoing the procedure, it’s important to provide your skin with the necessary care and hydration to promote healing and maintain its newfound radiance.
Many individuals wonder if it is safe to use hyaluronic acid, a popular skincare ingredient known for its moisturizing properties, after microdermabrasion.
In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits and considerations of using hyaluronic acid post-microdermabrasion to help you make an informed decision for your skincare routine.
Table of Contents
Microdermabrasion is a non-invasive procedure that exfoliates the outermost layer of the skin to improve its texture, tone, and overall appearance. It can effectively address concerns such as fine lines, wrinkles, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and dullness.
After microdermabrasion, your skin requires special care to promote healing and maintain its health. Here are some important guidelines to follow:
- Follow professional advice: Always adhere to the post-treatment instructions provided by your dermatologist or skincare professional. They will provide you with personalized guidance based on your skin type and the specific microdermabrasion technique used.
- Keep the skin moisturized: Hydration is key to promoting healing and maintaining the skin’s moisture barrier. Use a gentle, hydrating moisturizer recommended by your skincare professional to soothe and nourish the treated area.
- Protect your skin from the sun: After microdermabrasion, your skin is more sensitive to sunlight. Apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
The Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that attracts and retains moisture. Here’s why it can be beneficial after microdermabrasion:
- Intense hydration: Hyaluronic acid is known for its exceptional ability to hold water, making it a highly effective moisturizing ingredient. Applying hyaluronic acid after microdermabrasion can help replenish the skin’s moisture levels, keeping it hydrated and plump.
- Promotes healing: Hyaluronic acid has soothing properties that can help calm and nourish the skin post-treatment. It supports the skin’s natural healing process, reducing redness, irritation, and inflammation.
- Enhances results: Microdermabrasion exfoliates the skin, allowing better absorption of skincare products. Hyaluronic acid’s lightweight texture enables it to penetrate deeply into the skin, maximizing its hydrating benefits and enhancing the overall results of microdermabrasion.
Considerations for Using Hyaluronic Acid
While hyaluronic acid can be beneficial after microdermabrasion, there are a few considerations to keep in mind:
- Wait for the appropriate time: It is generally recommended to wait a short period, typically 24-48 hours, after microdermabrasion before introducing hyaluronic acid or any other skincare products. This allows the skin to recover and prevents potential irritation.
- Choose the right product: Select a hyaluronic acid serum or moisturizer that is specifically formulated for facial use and suitable for your skin type. Look for products with clean ingredients and no potential irritants.
- Patch test: If you’re trying a new hyaluronic acid product, consider performing a patch test on a small area of your skin to check for any adverse reactions or allergies.
- Follow application guidelines: Apply hyaluronic acid according to the instructions provided by the product manufacturer or your skincare professional. Generally, a few drops or a pea-sized amount is sufficient to cover the entire face. Gently massage the product into the skin using upward motions.
Using hyaluronic acid after microdermabrasion can be beneficial for hydrating and nourishing the skin, promoting healing, and enhancing the results of the treatment. However, it is important to follow professional advice and wait for the appropriate time before incorporating hyaluronic acid into your post-microdermabrasion skincare routine.
Choose high-quality products suited to your skin type, perform a patch test if necessary, and apply the product gently to ensure optimal benefits without causing any irritation or discomfort. By combining the benefits of microdermabrasion with the hydrating properties of hyaluronic acid, you can support your skin’s recovery and maintain a healthy, glowing complexion.
Rebecca is a licensed aesthetician and certified laser technician with almost 15 years experience in the dermatology. Her life-long passion is making people look good and happy.